Shaw was selected out of Boston College in the 1st round of the 2015 draft by the San Francisco Giants. He signed and finished the year at short-season Class A. This is his first full year of professional baseball and his first stint at the Class A Advanced level. He was promoted to Double A on June 30th.
|League Age||22 (10/20/1993)|
Shaw possesses a tall, large frame with a strong, muscular build. He has broad shoulders, a compact torso, a thick chest and trim waist. His arms are long and muscular with solid forearms while his legs are long, thick and strong. His flexibility is loose and agile and his physical projection is minimal.
OVERALL FUTURE POTENTIAL (60)
“Shaw is a big, strong left-handed hitter with an amazing swing. When I watch him play I am reminded of Joey Votto. He puts on a show in batting practice and flashes above average power to all fields. His actions at the plate are effortless as he combines a quiet, controlled approach with a powerful, compact swing. He also displays solid bat control and flashes the potential to develop a plus hit tool. He is solid on defense as he is pretty athletic for a person his size, and he features a strong arm that contains solid strength and average accuracy. I see him as an impact type player who will be a frequent all-star and, in a few years, one of the best hitters in the game.”
Shaw stands upright at the plate with a nice bend, and his feet wide and slightly open. He holds his hands in front of his back shoulder, at shoulder level, and near his body. His elbow is up and he very slightly wags his bat, which he holds high and fairly vertical. His load is quiet and fairly fluid as his body very slightly rocks back while his hands slightly twist down and backward. He uses his short stride, which stays close to the ground, to close his hips. He presents plus timing as his hands are in a good position to hit when his stride lands. He also displays above average balance throughout his approach and swing. His swing is strong and powerful with plus bat speed and an above average twitch. It is short to the ball, quick through the zone and he drives through the ball well. His approach and swing stay consistent with two strikes, and he usually finishes with two hands on the bat.
Approach (60): Quiet. Easy.
- Stance – Upright with a nice bend. Wide. Slightly Open. High elbow. Bat is held high, fairly vertical and very slightly waged.
- Load – Fairly Fluid. Quiet. Body very slightly rocks back. Hands twist down and backward.
- Stride – To Close. Short. Foot stays near the ground.
Swing (65): Quick. Compact. Powerful.
- Plane – Slight Uppercut. Good Lift. Short to the ball.
- Speed – Plus (60) Plus Twitch. Quick through the zone.
- Strength – Good Extension. Drives through the ball.
Timing (60): Controlled. Very Repeatable.
- Balance – Above Average (60) His body stays centered at a plus level throughout his approach and swing.
- Rhythm – Above Average (60) His hands are usually in a good position to hit when his stride lands.
Shaw displays a solid feel for the ball on the infield. He moves well on the diamond as he stays fairly low and features average range at first base. He is a big target at the first base bag who is reliable and displays a solid ability to pick the ball. He is also not afraid to leave his feet and demonstrates a solid ability to jump. He presents great arm action in warm ups which is long, loose and fluid. He will shorten up his action in a game, but his arm still features solid strength, average accuracy nice on-line carry. He presents a strong glove-to-hand transfer and his solid body control help him throw well when on the move.
- Arm – Strength (50) Accuracy (50) Proper Action. Loose. Fluid.
- Hands/Field – Solid (50) Sure. Reliable. Strong glove-to-hand transfer.
- Footwork – Solid (50) Range (50) Stays fairly low.
- Body Control – Agility (50) Quickness (45) Coordination (60)
When on the move Shaw displays long, fluid, powerful strides and remains fairly upright. He features below average speed, but does not clog the bases as he is at his best when going from first base to third base. He displays a slightly below average first-step and demonstrates below average aggressiveness on the bases as he does not attempt to steal at all. He does present nice leads and usually takes a solid secondary.
- Style – Long. Fluid. Powerful. Fairly Upright.
- Speed (40) Base Running (45) Aggressiveness (40)